I have a need for an anonymous mailman list and here is how I set it up.
- create the list (for me I had to run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist the web ui didn't work for me). In this example I'm going to use the name "privatelist".
- In the web ui, on the general options page, under "Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields)" select Yes
- In the web ui under "Archiving Options" just say NO to "Archive Messages?
- In the web ui under "Digest options" select NO to "Can list members choose to receive list traffic bunched in digests?"
- modify /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Cleanse.py to add the following underneath if mlist.anonymous_list:
- rm Cleanse.py[oc]
- python -O -c 'import py_compile; py_compile.compile("Cleanse.py")'
- python -c 'import py_compile; py_compile.compile("Cleanse.py")'
- cd /var/lib/mailman/lists/privatelist; rm digest.mbox; ln -s /dev/null digest.mbox
- remove /var/lib/mailman/archices/*/privatelist
- replace /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/privatelist.mbox/privatelist.mbox with a link to /dev/null
- restart mailman